Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Podcasting

Wow! The world of podcasting is more complicated than I first suspected. The materials are all common and easy to find, it is the work that goes into the script and preparation that surprised me.

I can see this generation and ones to come really enjoying the capabilities of podcasting. It incorporates everything we have discussed so far in this course; technology. Kids love and use it everyday. I can see a use for it in the classroom, replacing traditional book reports, doing weather announcements for a month long weather unit, and including it in on a class blog or wiki, sharing information the students has research. It can also be implemented in the library as a way to provide a book review. The Spanish teacher can post lessons to the schools website so students can have extra practice. I personally could utilize it to record a lesson or lesson demonstration for sick classmates to view.

Is this technology replacing common practices in schools? Just like power point presentations started replacing the common written report, I think podcasting is the “new” thing. With power points students can add graphics to help explain the topic they are presenting. While podcasting is solely voice, a vodcast can go much further than a power point and include a live demonstration or more realistic visuals for students.

I hope to get a podcast up and running soon.

No comments: